Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Happier Times

The glisten of the river reminds me of,
Happier times
Times when everyone was still together,
Still alive
I remember the way my mother,
With her rosy cheeks,
Her plump figure,
Would tell me and my brother,
Even the smoothest surfaces have bumps buried beneath.
I couldn't comprehend it then,
When I was but a little girl,
But now it rings as clearly as church bells on Sunday,
You may have the appearance of a perfect and joyful life,
A life of innocence,
But down inside you hurt with such pain,
You feel as though someone is stabbing you with a sword of anguish,
Of disconcert,
Almost unbearable.
My family gone,
As well as the flame that plagued our farm that night,
And now so is my joy
The place I once thought of as home,
Only leaves me with the feeling of,
Emptiness,
Dread,
For I now know I will always be here gazing at the river,
Dreaming about
Happier times

8 comments:

  1. I really like how your poem tells a whole story - a wonderful time, with everyone together, then a fire on the farm, and now a seemingly good life, but really bad. I was not sure why the river reminded her of the better times, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Mikki that was really good...I love how you have some rhyming pattern in there also! I enjoyed reading this and it in my mind I could imagine this memory you were describing! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mikkiii! Your poem is really good! I like how there was a sort of rhythm throughout it and your variety of vocabulary. I could really picture this in my head the way you were describing it. Good job, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikki, that was amazing! This is a great poem, and made me feel really sad and then really happy. But I guess that's what it's about... so great job! I like how you repeated Happier times. It made me feel like I was there when all this was happening. Great job on this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is powerful. I was totally drawn in and pretty much shaken! Very cool. As you continue to grow as a writer, look to revise, constantly controlling how you sound. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing poem. It made my emotions like a rollercoaster!!!!! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOWWWW!!!! MIKKII!! This was so good.. For a second I thought this was a poem from your poet. The way your words flow is perfect and your wordchoice is unbelievable. This piece really shows how brilliant you really are. When I look back on the comments, it looks like you've really affected people in a good way. This poem got everyone thinking. GREAT JOB MIKKI!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Mikki!!! This is one of the best poems that I have seen on peeople's blogs!!! You make writing seem so easy! Your vocabulary is amazing, and your thoughts flow perfectly. Like Olivia, I thought for a second that your poet wrote this; I had to go back and check to make sure that you wrote this. You are a great writer!!!

    ReplyDelete